S.1213 - Weatherization Enhancement, and Local Energy Efficiency Investment and Accountability Act113th Congress (2013-2014)
Summary: S.1213 — 113th Congress (2013-2014)
Introduced in Senate (06/20/2013)
Weatherization Enhancement, and Local Energy Efficiency Investment and Accountability Act - Amends the Energy Conservation and Production Act to authorize appropriations for the Weatherization Assistance Program for low-income persons for FY2014-FY2018.
Requires the Secretary of Energy (DOE) to make competitive grants to qualified tax-exempt charitable organizations for energy efficiency retrofit uses that include:
- energy efficiency audits, cost-effective retrofit, and related activities in different climatic regions of the United States;
- energy efficiency materials and supplies;
- organizational capacity for retrofit programs;
- energy efficiency, audit and retrofit training, and technical assistance;
- information to homeowners on proper maintenance and energy savings behaviors;
- quality control and improvement;
- data collection, measurement, and verification;
- program monitoring, oversight, evaluation, and reporting;
- management and administration; and
- labor and training activities.
Requires contractors carrying weatherization with funds under the Act to be selected through a competitive bidding process and be accredited as specified by this Act. Requires organizations, in order to receive a grant, to use a crew chief who is certified or accredited as required by this Act.
Requires the Secretary, beginning on October 1, 2015, to ensure that: (1) each retrofit for which weatherization assistance is provided meets minimum efficiency and quality of work standards established by the Secretary, (2) at least 10% of the dwelling units are randomly inspected by an accredited third party to ensure compliance with the standards, and (3) the standards meet or exceed the current industry standards for home performance work.
Amends the Energy Policy and Conservation Act to extend the authorization for state energy conservation plans for FY2014-FY2018.